Alternative Medicines Are Popular, But Do Any Of Them Really Work?
Alternative medicines do not allow avoiding this loss of mobility in the joints completely, but it is for sure that it brings certain relief from the pain that occurs. If you are one of them tend to be more optimistic as well as positive in life, help people to get rid of stress, depression, physical and emotional trauma then this can be your perfect choice. While a few alternative medicines have dangerous side effects, some, such as many herbs have been proven safe to consume. Although some alternative therapies are not cheap, many herbal remedies and other natural treatments still cost less than prescription medications and treatments.
If alternative medicines can be shown to be efficacious using more rigorous experimental designs, both consumers and clinicians could avail themselves of a wider range of pharmacological substances that may offer the advantage of being better tolerated and exhibiting safer therapeutic margins than some allopathic medicines. The combination of conventional allopathic medications with alternative medicines will result in the formation of another treatment paradigm – the complementary alternative medicine.This review of the evidence regarding complementary and alternative medicines will undoubtedly be of interest to many people living with painful or debilitating arthritic conditions.
Complementary and alternative medicine: Evaluate claims
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) treatments, such as herbal remedies and acupuncture, are growing in popularity. And thanks to increasing research on CAM treatments, doctors are now better able to understand the role these alternative therapies can play in helping treat and prevent disease. In fact, conventional medicine and alternative medicine treatments may be offered together — a practice called integrative medicine.
But while complementary and alternative medicine — CAM for short — offers you more options, not all CAM treatments have been studied well enough to know whether or not they’re safe or effective.
When considering CAM treatments, be open-minded yet skeptical. Learn about the potential benefits and risks. Gather information from a variety of sources and check the credentials of CAM practitioners. Also, talk with your doctor before trying any treatment — especially if you take medications or have chronic health problems — to be sure it won’t be harmful to you. Read more here.
Alternative medicine is a generic term that encompasses a variety of approaches, including homeopathy, acupuncture, phytotherapy and numerous holistic or behavioral techniques.
Guide to Alternative & Complementary Medicines
1. Acupressure– Acupressure is similar in practice to acupuncture (see below), only no needles are involved. Practitioners use their hands, elbows, or feet to apply pressure to specific points along the body’s “meridians.” According to thetheory behind acupressure, meridians are channels that carry life energy (qi or ch’i) throughout the body.
2. Acupuncture– Though “acupuncture” may immediately bring needles to mind, the term an array of procedures that stimulate specific points on the body. The best-known variety consists of penetrating the skin with thin needles controlled by a practitioner or electrical stimulation,
3. Aromatherapy– Aromatherapy uses essential oils (concentrated extracts from the roots, leaves, seeds, or blossoms of plants) to The oils can be inhaled, massaged into the skin or (in rare cases) taken by mouth, and each has a specific purpose. See more here.
The researchers say that alternative medicines can have a positive impact on quality of life when used to complement rather than replace conventional cancer treatments.
Benefits and Usage:
The natural therapies present in alternative medicines are age-old as compared to western form of treatments such as antibiotics and surgeries. According to physicians, most alternative medicine therapies started with clinical impressions or scientific research. The medicines are safe and involve natural substances. One primary objective of alternative medicines is to relieve people from depending largely on drug usage and help them manage their lives naturally. For users’ convenience, below given are some ways to use alternative medicines:
1. People following an alternative medicine may do physical exercises such as osteopathy, yoga, infuse physical activity, tai chi, meditation and reflexology. To do these exercises, place the pillow on a surface providing comfort to the body, since these exercises stimulate and manipulate structural balance of the body. In addition, the exercises improve overall bodily functions. Users may practice these exercises for mental, physical, spiritual and emotional benefits.
2. Users may undergo massage therapy, which involves manipulating and rubbing the body tissue for mental and physical relaxation. They may do this either at home or at a massage clinic. When at home, apply massage oils to the neck, forehead, feet and hands. Read full article here.
Alternative Medicines Approach Healing
The goal of complementary and alternative medicines is to promote optimal health and wellness through non-traditional therapies and techniques. Alternative medicine offers an integrated approach to healing and may include interventions such as herbal remedies, reflexology, chiropractic, nutritional supplements, massage therapy, and acupuncture. With more medical professionals beginning to suggest the use of alternative therapies in combination with conventional medical treatments, many more studies are underway to examine both the usefulness and safety of these nonstandard treatments.
Many people turn to alternative medicine therapies for pain relief when traditional treatments fail to work. Alternative medicine also offers treatment options to individuals who do not have access to pain clinics under their health insurance plans. A study conducted by researchers at the University of Michigan Health System found that older individuals, who are more likely to suffer chronic pain conditions, use alternative therapies more frequently. Alternative medicine therapies can be less expensive than conventional medical treatments. Acupuncture and chiropractic sessions can cost significantly less than conventional pain therapy treatments.